Sunday 13 September 2009

Somerset Holiday Post I: "Just Around The Corner"...

When we booked our Somerset Holiday in Blue Anchor (3 miles from Minehead) we knew that the West Somerset Railway's "Blue Anchor Station" was only just down the road. However, it turned out to be closer than we thought...less than 5 minutes walk in fact! (This would prove useful, or is it interesting, for me at least, throughout the holiday!). The West Somerset Railway runs between the seaside town of Minehead and the idyllic village of Bishops Lydeard, passing through 8 intermediate stations in between. At 20 miles long, it is the longest heritage railway in the country. During this, day 1 of the holiday, I spotted both 4160 & 3850 but it won't be until Monday that I get a proper look at the trains!
Trains aside, I was very impressed with Blue Anchor Station itself. My favourite feature has to be the authentic, gated level crossing which is operated from the signal box, with the mechanics under the road. The station has 2 platforms, a booking hall, a small museum, a waiting hut, toilets and of course the signalbox & gated crossing. The stations is also packed with many items of railway interest such as signals and posters. I look forward to seeing alot more of the station throughout the week... Thanks for reading!

No comments: