Thursday 13 May 2010

Joan's Fun Day at GEC; Driving A Romulus...

Hi all. This is perhaps one of my "vainer" posts featuring, for a change(!), photo's of me doing what I say I do! (Proof at last!). Today I had been invited to the dual-gauge GEC Miniature Railway, just off Allard Way in Coventry, to help out with their "Special Needs Day"; known as 'Joan's Fun Day'. The event has been running for over 10 years, annually offering local children with special needs the chance to get up close and personal with trains. For the event, both the 5" and 7.25" tracks were in operation as well as the 00 Gauge Model Railway and the Tea Room, showing the GEC Miniature Railway at its best. I began my morning, after a cheeky McDonalds breakfast(!), by arriving at the GEC track-site at about 7:40am. At this time only the "early birds", including my friend Gary, had arrived but preparations were already underway, including the removal of leaves from the two small stations. I helped get the 5" gauge passenger cars out before helping to unload the first loco of the day; an 0-4-0 "Sweet William". The little engine, including a small tender, was pushed down to the steaming bay but, as she has yet to be fitted with vacuum brakes, was not steamed until later in the day. Next to arrive was regular GEC driver, James, along with his 0-4-0 Romulus, also called "James"! I helped James get the Romulus off the trailer before we pushed "him" up to Steaming Bay No2...
After oiling, lighting and steaming up, "James" was ready and squeaky clean at 9:30am, ready to take to the second set of coaches; the first set being hauled by Diesel Hydraulic "Sammy". With many happy passengers aboard, "James" made many trips, running round shrewly everytime, whilst "Sammy" did the same with 'his' set, driven by owner, Malcolm. The 5" gauge raised track was also in operation, being run, in particular, by two steam locomotives; an 0-6-0 "Speedy" and an 0-6-0 Penrhyn engine, "Sgt Murphy". Both tracks were very busy throughout the morning with many minibuses and even a 52-seater Coach(!) arriving and departing with many happy children! Apart from a few hitches, the day went very well; with over 120 children being given rides throughout the day. The "Tea Room Ladies", as usual, kept us fed and watered throughout the day with many, MANY cups of tea being delivered to the stations and even the footplates of the loco's! We must take our hats off and appreciate the "Tea Room Ladies" as, afterall, we enjoy what we do and it's their labours that help us enjoy ourselves even more...well done again Ladies; the Tea was very much appreciated! By 2:30pm, all of the children had headed off back to school (ready for "home time") but, as it was still very warm and pleasant, we decided to have a "Play" with the 7.25". I was, I must admit, very happy when "James" owner (James!) told me I could have a "play" with his engine if I wanted. Guess what?: "Yes Please!". I had a good few laps driving the engine on 'his' 2-coach train before we disposed (see pics above + below). Below, we're chugging into the Car Park Loop on the way back up the bank towards the "Feather" signal at the top...
Perhaps the ear-to-ear grin shows just how much I was enjoying myself?! I was in fact looking back to check that the coaches were OK as they crossed the Facing Points and into the loop. As you can see, we're getting closer to the top of the bank where I "shut-off" to coast down into the station...
A bit of info on "James" now. 'He' is an 0-4-0 Romulus, painted in all over red livery. Built by the late Ray Tyldesley, the loco began running in 1991, though in primer and brass livery. The tender was also designed by the builder, being rather large in stature and comfortable for the driver, offering 6-wheeled riding. The locomotive includes two injectors (fed from the large capacity tender) and a handpump (situated in the cab) to provide water feeds. Coal is kept in the tender, underneath the comfortable drivers seat. The Romulus also includes Hackworth valve gear, a mechanical lubricator, drain cocks (operated from cab) and a large firebox. Atop the boiler barrel stands the dome, which includes the safety valves and a piercing whistle! (I really love that whistle!). All in all the locomotive rode well, steamed well and the injectors were a dream, especially if you let the water run-through for a second or two before applying the steam. Below, looking rather confused, I put on the driver's-side injector as awe await the road into the 7.25" platform as the "Sweet William" was in the way. The quaint BR-style headlamp can be seen on the front of the smokebox...
GEC's track in particular is very nice to drive, especially with a loco that has the size and power of "James". When you needed power to get up the bank, "James" had the steam to do it but you could also stop 'him' from blowing off when steam wasn't needed, using the injectors as "coolant" as it were(!). Here, I begin to slow "James" down on the vacuum brakes as we come off the "Speedway" section (my name for it, not their's!) and into the first arm of the turning-triangle...
Once to the end of the triangle, the river is directly behind the buffer-stop's so it is necessary, if you value the track you run on, to STOP! (Wouldn't fancy carrying on!). Once at the buffers, the standard 2-car train is clear of the trailing point which then becomes the facing point as the loco propels the stock through the second arm of the triangle. Below, I drive in reverse around the second arm of the triangle; the Rugby/Football posts can be seen in the background...
Once onto the 3rd arm of the triangle, the second trailing point becomes the facing point and so the road is now set for a return to station, obeying all signals of course. Coming out of the triangle and back onto the main line is normally the best section for 'cleaning the fire' as it were. The engines accelerate here, digging into the climb as the bank stretches out ahead; upgrade. When I'd done a good few laps, occasionally passing the now in steam "Sweet William", we took "James" back down through the yard and onto Steaming Bay No2 before disposing of 'him'. After thanking James for his hospitality and for letting me have a go, we loaded the Romulus back onto 'his' trailer before James took his loco back home. While I'm about it, I must also thank all of the GEC members once again for having me, inviting me and for making another visit to this lovely little railway so enjoyable. Special thanks to the "Tea Room Ladies" for their continued support to the loco crews and train staff (well done!) and to my friend Gary for providing all of the fantastic (yet slightly vain on my part!) images that are featured in this post; and for the lift home afterwards! It really was a great day resulting in a good run for "James" and plenty of happy youngsters who returned to school after a good day out...well done GEC! I'm planning to be at GEC again on Bank Holiday Monday (May 31st) when it's their 7.25" track Public Running Day. Trains begin at 2:30pm so, if you're free, why not come along and enjoy a train ride?! Maybe see you there?! Thanks for reading folks. Evening...

2 comments:

rob58uk said...

Hi Sam,

Sorry for digging up this old blog of yours, but when I saw the name Ray Tyldesley I just had to comment on what I call the THE COPSEWOOD TRAIN CRASH.

Now my Dad was a member of the GEC Model Engineering Society for many years, I think he joined around 1970, and was certainly still a member well into the 1990’s. The day of the crash is lost in history, but it would be sometime around the mid-1970’s. Back in the 1970’s they only had the 5” & 3½” raised track railway around the copse. It was an open day and I was down at the clubhouse helping as I did regularly, I was teenager at the time. My Dad was into ’00’ Gauge so he was probably running his trains around the track that he had helped to build inside the clubhouse. I was outside trying to help out where I could, some guy had just got his engine in steam by the roundtable and was ready to move it on to the main track, I helpfully moved the swing out rail bridge on to the main track forgetting that there was already a locomotive running on it, a minute or so later Ray Tyldesley came hurtling around the bend with his 3½“ gauge replica LMS Fowler 2-6-4T locomotive. There was one hell of a noise and the odd scream or two as the loco hit the retractable bridge and came to a very quick shuddering halt as you could imagine. The loco derailed but stayed upright, without any discernible damage, no-one was hurt, except for my pride. I was severely embarrassed.

After the post-mortem of the events, I was absolved of blame as there should of been an allocated adult doing this job, and they decided to alter the signalling to include a feather junction indicator, which I believe there electronics expert at the time, a guy called Tony Gardner was key to creating. Anyway there it is, the story of the day I caused a major rail crash in Coventry that didn’t make the BBC headline news.

The link below will take you to a photograph of Ray & the very lcomotive I mention, I've just posted this story to their facebook page as well.

Rob

https://www.facebook.com/copsewoodrailway/photos/a.513532612011527/767807343250718/?comment_id=1219901452263172&reply_comment_id=6009249965761942&notif_id=1676196570430322&notif_t=comment_mention&ref=notif

Sam Brandist said...

Hi there Rob. Great to hear from you. Your story brings back memories of driving my own engine on the 5" line and as you say, remembering the feather which now exists when the bridge to the steaming bays is extended. Knowing how quickly the locomotives can travel through that station on the right hand bend when given a green signal I can heavily sympathise with your story! A really interesting story mate. Thank you very much for reading and thank you for your comment. Kind regards, Sam.