Sunday 4 July 2010

Running Day at RPMR...

Hi all. Today, with a good weather forecast set out, I was optimistic as I arrived at my 5" gauge concern's site at Ryton Pools Country Park. As well as my boilersuit and a few soft drinks, I had brought along some 5" gauge 'Sweet Pea' loco "castings" which I had for sale. The castings having been 'off-loaded', I headed off up to the track with my full-size BR Tail Lamp in hand. (The Tail Lamp was to be trial-fitted in preparation for its appearance at the RPMR's '24-Hour Track Occupation' over the weekend of July 24th/25th). Once up at the 2000ft-long track I realised that it was in fact "No Work Day" (a Member's Running Session); not that I'm one to complain! In fact it was a very good turn out seeing no less than 8 locomotives making it onto the track for a run, with another two appearing on the bays yet not running! It's great to see huge progress taking place everytime I head up to CMES. The Steaming Bay's and Traverser section now look very good and are now waiting in anticipation of the upcoming Invitation Day on August 14th. Out of all the loco's that were on site, it was nice to see a 'Matching Pair' if you like. Two examples of LBSC's much-loved 'Pansy' Design stood side-by-side on the far bays. The 'Pansy' is modelled on the GWR's famous and plucky 57XX 0-6-0 Pannier Tank and makes for a powerful and substantial 5" gauge loco; though there has only been one in operation (No5717 "Victoria") at CMES until today!! The 2nd 'Pansy' has just been purchased and will be turned out in London Transport Red in due course! Below, I'm caught driving Dave's lovely 3.5" gauge 2-6-2 'Betty' Class loco No1198...
No1198 is a lovely 3.5" gauge model of a Southern Railway locomotive that was in fact designed but never actually made it into production! Holding a 2-6-2 'Prairie'-type wheel arrangement, the loco bares a stark resemblence to Gresley's famous V2 Class, headed by No60800 "Green Arrow". I must admit, as there are very few 3.5" gauge loco's in the club compared the more numorous 5" gauge examples, it's very rare that I drive one. However, Dave was kind enough to let me have a go on one of the few 3.5" gauge loco's that I've driven before; his 2-6-2 No1198. With big wheels and large cylinders, the loco is a dream to drive and tears around the track at scale speeds of around 60mph + with ease. (More of a 'galloping' engine I would say!). Using a small shovel and nicely-sized coal, the loco is easy to fire and has a substantial firehole ring. The sizeable firebox is more than enough to keep steam up in the substantial boiler and the loco is never short of steam! The fact that she is a main line example rather than a Narrow Gauge type; such as the Sweet Pea I normally drive at RPMR; means that she rides very smoothly and offers little worry of bouncing around on any rough joints or tight curves. I had about 5 or 6 laps driving this engine today and it was very, very enjoyable. I really like this loco and, for a tender engine, the fact that she can be easily lifted by one person from loading bay to car is a great advantage indeed! Below, the beautiful GWR Green Pannier, "Victoria", approaches the bridge from 'Ryton Halt'...
Later in the day I also got to have an inspiring two laps on Colin's fabulous 4-4-0 5" gauge LNWR Precursor. This loco has always been a favourite of mine as she steams beautifully, rides perfectly and is simply built for sustained speed. The full size examples, designed by the mighty LNWR, really were the "racehorses" of their day and, with their huge wheels and sizeable cylinders, offered great performance. Heavier trains were not a problem either, once enough grip had been gained to get the load moving of course! No2003 "Lady Kathleen" is a beautiful example and one that is relatively rare in miniature terms; I for one have only ever seen this one! As I drove around, the loco, as usual, gave a fantastic performance and offered some very spirited running. This certainly is an engine that just "strides". Even at the track speed of 6mph, the loco's rods are hardly moving whereas, on a Sweet Pea, they are tearing around! Thank you very much for the drive, Colin; you have a beautiful loco! It wasn't just the steamers either, three electrics were spotted 'out and about'. The two which made it onto the track are spotted below; the society's Class 37 heads the double-act, whilst Pete's 0-4-0 "Benella" follows...
I had also driven the club's Class 37 earlier in the day; basically just to "get me around the track"! This huge Co-Co always performs well and is a stirling engine for the society to own; though I would always choose steam over her...sorry! Also in the day, with the help of Emma, I managed to find a successful way to connect my BR Tail Lamp to one of the wagons, allowing it to operate during the early hours of the morning as part of the 'Night Run' in a few weeks. (I will be driving the Sweet Pea from midnight until 3am and so require some form of rear lighting; I feel that the huge Tail Lamp may just be adaquate for this!!). I had had a very nice, sociable afternoon at the RPMR and will be returning for the 'Night Run' in 3 weeks and then a Crewing-turn on August 1st. After a good old chat in the Clubhouse I left for home at around 5:50pm; thanks for the lift home Dave, much appreciated (as well as the drive of your loco!). Tomorrow? I'm due to crew B1 No1306 "Mayflower" at Shackerstone so, a "nice" (wrong terminology in my book!) start at 5am. Thank you for reading folks and thank you very much to the much appreciated CMES member, Peter, for sending in the four photo's which you see in this post. Evening All...

No comments: