Saturday 14 August 2010

Wet, Windy, Damp, Dark Invitation Day at RPMR...

Hiya everyone. Today, unfortunately in ridiculously damp, dark, depressing weather, my 5" gauge concern, the Ryton Pool Miniature Railway, held their first ever Invitation Day. However, due to the terrible forecast and the terrible outcome of the weather, only two visiting engines turned up. One visitor brought a rather nice Bo-Bo Petrol Hydraulic which, though apparently freelance, reminds me of a Met-Vickers Class 28 Bo-Co in it's body shape, save for the inclusion of two forward-facing cab windows and not three. This BR Maroon liveried monster ran very well and her owner seemed pleased with his steed. Above, fellow driver Emma seems riddled with joy as she drives the petrol hydraulic up the bank. The second visitor brought a rather large electric loco; a Class 66, possibly a detailed Compass House model? The 66 is seen below, crossing the Bendy-Beam, driven by a younger visitor...
In the meantime, two other electrics, based at the RPMR, were out and about. A little Maxitrak 'Planet' was in operation during the morning. Secondly, Ken's Class 08 'Jocko' was spotted out and about during the afternoon...
The 5th and final locomotive in operation was the club's stalwart 0-4-0 Sweet Pea, "John H Owen". Kevin had steamed the engine up but many members, including myself, enjoyed a good few laps on the regulator. The 'P' seemed to be steaming very well, as per usual...
Though I was rostered to help out until gone 5pm, the disastrous and rather depressing wet weather saw only the two mentioned visitors turn up. Also, there were more than enough CMES members on site to help out. With this in mind, I decided to leave for home early (after checking that it was 'OK' to do so of course!). Therefore, I said my goodbyes and left the site at just after 2pm...with more rain falling from the dark grey skies. (Can't help the weather; wish we could though!). I drove out of the gate as another very heavy spell of rain fell; dear me what a day! In the meantime, I think CMES will have to redate for another Invitation Day; this one was such a shame. I reckon we would have got a good turn out of visiting loco's had the sun showed itself! However, the rain did subside as I continued to drive towards home. Maybe I'll call into GEC on the way back?...Thanks for reading folks and thanks to the two visiting loco's which turned up in the horrid conditions. Good Day...

No comments: