Sunday 5 September 2010

Shackerstone Family Festival 2010 and Linesiding On The Railway...

Hi everyone. Today, with no loco turns or shed work rostered, I decided to head over to Shackerstone on a social visit. It was the weekend of the 2010 Shackerstone Family Festival and, being a working member on the railway, I had a pass for free entry. During the day, I had also planned to do some linesiding on the railway as I never normally get the chance to film anything! I got to Shackerstone at about 10am and headed immediately for the loco shed where I found both 1306 and 5542 being readied for service. I filmed 5542 going off shed and then, without warning she primed all over my best clothes! Perhaps an omen?! I hope not! I then filmed 5542 leaving Shackerstone on the first run of the day before heading back to my car. The Festival field is about 1-mile away from Shackerstone by road, though its only a stones throw on foot! I moved straight around to the field and then parked up before having a walk around the show. I didn't stay long, just had a quick nose about and got a few pics here and there. Behind some caravans I discovered "Titanic", an Aveiling & Porter Roller that is a regular at local steam rallies and country shows such as this...
"Titanic" was also joined by a very modern "Advance" Roller; the two Roller's making up the only full size road vehicles for this year. However, there was no shortage of miniature steamer's including Foster Road Loco "Heather" which is a regular at shows such as the Midland Model Engineering Exhibition. "Heather" is normally also joined by some miniature electric car's, such as a very nice Land Rover which, in fact, was also in attendence today. Perhaps the most impressive miniature loco this year was a Garratt Showman's. I would have estimated its scale size at between 4" & 6", it was a monster...
The festival also plays host to lovingly restored Military vehicles...
Over in the classic car area, you could find everything from Tractor's (below) to a lovely Ford Capri (top image). There really were some beautiful vehicles here of various types, ages and colours; all lovingly restored by their adoring owners...
Out on the Ashby Canal there was another huge gathering of Narrowboats from mundane pleasure boats to beautiful Working Boats of past years...
The Narrowboats, sometimes moored up to 3-across, proved very popular and a walk down the towpath sometimes proved very difficult with the congestion! There were many types of boats here. One thing that amazes me is how high some of the bigger boats stand out of the water when empty. You can imagine that, when they're fully laden, it must be very difficult not to catch the bottom of shallow canals! One boat that caught my eye was the Steam Tug "Adamant" that, as I was a bit early, wasn't in steam just yet. (Surprisingly, I got a chat with the owner later on up at the railway, see next post). Below, the Narrowboats stand together along the canal towpath on the approach to the Station Road bridge...
"The Towpath Shop": a narrowboat converted to form a waterway souvenir shop: was also in attendence, as were the Ashby Boat Company who were giving 20-minute cruises along a short stretch of the canal. The children weren't forgotten either; a Fairground was provided as usual!...
There was even a 5" gauge miniature railway, operated by Burton Model Engineering Society I believe. The portable track was operated using what seemed to be a model of a 2ft Gauge Peckett. The smokebox door features and the shallow 'bottom end' suggest this. However, it could well be some kind of Freelance Hunslet!...
As well as what I've mentioned there were Trade Stands, a very popular Beer Tent, Classic Buses, Horses, Dogs, Model Aircraft, Birds, Motorcyle Display Teams, Shows in the Main Arena, a Flyover by a "Spitfire" and of course the famous RAF Red Arrows which did a fantastic 25-minute acrobatic display on the Sunday afternoon. (Damn...now you know this wasn't written on the right day!). There was alot to see and, I must admit, it was well organised. Well done to everyone involved. After my quick walk around it was back to the railway where, using my little Saxo, I chased 5542 and "Mayflower" around the Fen Lanes, capturing them on film a few times in the process. The footage I got can be seen below...
After my filming on the railway I was invited onto the footplate of 5542 and enjoyed a ride on her final public round trip of the day. This was again in my good clothes which, really, I had to try very hard to keep sort of clean, even though they'd been primed over by 5542 that morning! It was a good run and I enjoyed it alot. When we got back to Shack, 1306 quickly ran round and took out the last train of the day. 5542 would normally be disposed at this point but, as it was 'Shack Fest' weekend, there was a special train for the show's exhibitors which was due to depart Shackerstone at 6:30pm and, well, just guess who ended up firing it?! (see next post!)...

No comments: