Monday 4 April 2011

Day Of (/On) The Diesel...

Hi all. Well, what an unusual day! First of all, it was "Day Out with Thomas" so I arrived at Shack at 6am ready to help get the beloved 5542 ready for service, as well as the not so beloved "Thomas" the Tank Engine! However, once the engines were in steam and just about ready to go, the call came; there was no Second-Man for the Class 25 diesel (the "Rat"). "What are you up to today?" was asked, to which I accidently replied; "Not alot". That was it, I was to Second-Man the "Rat", playing "Bo-Co" for the day, though I did wear traditional steam locomotive overalls! The job of the Second-Man is to keep a look out, couple and uncouple the loco and, in a worst-case scenario, stop the train should the driver be unable to. Now, I won't pretend I know alot about diesels (steam engines are my thing!) but, once you get used to the idea of how they work, they are pretty simple. The Driver and Owner; Martin; showed me round the loco, paying particular attention on pre-start checks, before showing me how to start her. I tell you, the noise in that engine room when that Sulzer engine started up was way more than loud! Back in the cab, the Second-Man has a comfortable seat, as does the Driver. There is also an Oven and a Hot-Ring for the Kettle on the 25'! Fantastic! The first five trains today were to be top & tailed with the 'Rat', and either "Thomas" or 5542. I however was to leave early (due to Mothers Day commitments!) so only did the first 4 trips, but that is 40 miles afterall! Below, the "Rat" rounds the scenic bend onto Shenton Bank...
Back at Shack, 5542 is spotted, sporting a smiling face. Unfortunately, 5542 will be leaving us this evening. We're all very sad to see her go but, thats life! The Small Prairie is off to the GCR for their 'Gr8 Escape' Gala, in support of the GWSR at Toddington. 5542 is seen waiting at the North End of the stock for the next departure with the "Rat"...
"Thomas" (Jinty No47298 from Llangollen) exchanges greetings with "Diesel" (the Class 08)...
Up at the shed, 3803 spent most of the day staring quietly up into the sky (I hate those faces!)...
47298 simmers in Shackerstone's Platform 2 with Mick Smith in Charge...
Our first three runs were very successful and the day was rather enjoyable as a whole. I was quite surprised at how much I enjoyed it actually! What a nice loco the Sulzer 25' is. Mr Dave Hanks was also about today, catching us all with his swift picture-taking. He caught me! Below, I lean from the Second-Man's window on the 25' as we depart Shackerstone's Platform 1 with 6 coaches and 5542 on the rear (C = D.Hanks)...
After my last run on the 25', Pockets took over as Second-Man for its last trip. I meanwhile headed off to the shed. Then, the heavens opened! Heavy rain came pouring down! Luckily, 3803 had just been shunted back inside! Myself and Dave took the oppotunity to check out her footplate again. Unfortunately, Dave caught me posing (and dreaming, I will admit)...
(Above, C = D.Hanks). I eventually left Shackerstone at about 3:20pm. Thank you all for reading folks and special thanks to Dave for sending in the two images you see above. Also thanks to Martin for a nice, tea-fuelled day on his Class 25. Evening all...

No comments: