Monday 9 May 2011

The Sweet-est Pea...

Hello all. Welcome to another post; No40 of 2011 in fact; wow this year is going by fast! Well, after a restful day yesterday, it was nice to be back on the railways again this afternoon. Today, I was rostered for my first of three crew turns (in 2011) on the Ryton Pool Miniature Railway, operated by Coventry Model Engineering Society. The 2000ft-long raised 3.5"/5" gauge line operates every Sunday from Easter until the end of September, giving rides at £1 per passenger, using either steam or diesel haulage; all weather permitting of course. I became a member at CMES back in Spring 2004, at the ripe old age of 12. I was immediately passed out as a Guard up there and was up on many Sunday afternoons, as well as during the Steam Up's when I often drove engines; learning alot as I did so. Eventually, the moment I turned 16, I was passed out as a Driver, taking my first trains on the Easter Sunday of 2008. Since then, I've fallen in love with the practise of driving the 5" gauge steamers on heavy Sunday afternoon trains. Thats where my phrase; "I don't do diesels"; has come from! The regular steam engine; though I've driven others on Sundays in the past; is the society's own 0-4-0 Sweet Pea class No499 "John H Owen". This engine, built by various club members and finished in 1999, has become a powerful, reliable work-horse and can often be seen working trains. Indeed, today, she did all of them!...
Sweet Pea is the name given to this 5" gauge locomotive class. They are an 0-4-0 as a rule but can also be edited to become 0-4-2's and some even have tenders. Indeed, a tender is in the pipeline for No499 as we speak. The loco itself is designed as a 'Contractors Locomotive'. I myself see stark resemblences between the Sweet Pea and the 2ft gauge Bagnall Saddle Tanks which were often used in the slate quarries. Being such a successful 5" gauge engine, the Sweet Pea has become very popular and countless examples exist the world over, in one form or another. They employ a maintainence friendly Marine Boiler, connected to large Cylinders which then connect to their wheels via durable Hackworth Valve Gear. No499 herself employs a Handpump and two Crosshead Pumps for watering purposes, connected of course to the sizeable side tank. Even now, I sometimes don't realise just how big a Pea boiler is...it takes alot of water to fill it from empty! Employing a Pole Reverser, No499 pulls well and works economically. Indeed, I think she is the easiest engine to drive/fire I have ever known. Even better; the harder you work her, the better she steams. She is a dream. The only problem she has, as you would expect for a chunky 4-wheeler, is that she likes to 'rock & roll' on the track a little but, of course, careful handling will improve this no end. Today, I arrived at Ryton at 11:45am, and carried out a walking Line Inspection before the rest of the team arrived. My younger brother, as well as two extra members were also present. Steam was chosen as the motive power almost immediately, so myself and my brother soon set to cleaning and raising steam. By 12:40pm, she was blowing off. Below, 499 awaits passengers in the sunshine...
Taking our first passengers at just gone 12:45pm, I drove the loco until 2:45pm. I realise that 2 hours without a break; a proper one at least; is a long time but with No499 you really don't notice it. She steams freely, pulls well and is more than capable of doing the tasks we put to her. 3 full passenger cars really didn't tax her as much as you would expect. On average, the most she hauled today was 9 adults, including myself and the Guard...not bad going for a little engine, ay?! Meanwhile, the powerful Class 37 electric; which is usually the club stalwart; did no work all day...steam for the win! I must admit, I have achieved my ambition...steam worked all day and all trains..."Yes"! I do think the passengers notice us more, and enjoy the ride more, when we run steamed hauled trains. The smell, the sound and of course the sight of the engine is a huge cut above that of an electric loco; but thats just my opinion. Travelling steam hauled is by far the best way to see this part of the Ryton Pool Country Park anyway! My brother was out with the camera today, taking a few snaps. Below, I've included the pictures in route order. Below, the train has not long left the station, with a regular load. We have traversed the 'S' bend and are now crossing the Ryton Bridge. I will soon be shutting off to coast down across the Bendy-Beam and towards the Carriage Shed...Below, I'm still coasting. This section, as the loco is shut-off with the blower cracked, is normally a good place to check the fire and thicken it if necessary. The pump(s) can also be turned on here to replenish the boiler water if required. Just around this corner, I usually whistle as the train travels through the trees, before opening up again to climb the steep 1 in 70 bank, particularly the lower section as it rests on a 180 degree bend!...
Once around the 180 degree curve, the loco will usually accelerate as the effort required to climb the same gradient on straight track is slightly less. Interestingly though, the track is actually getting steeper, from 1 in 100 at the bottom to 1 in 70 nearer the top! At the top of the bank, the loco needs to be shut-off immediately to avoid a slip. The train can then coast downgrade over the bridge, again giving the driver a chance to check the fire and to add more water to the boiler again...
Next, the train runs along a relatively straight section before rounding a large 225 degree right-hand bend back up into the station again. The trip will generally take around 5-6 minutes. Below, I have shut-off and am now coasting the final stretch into the station. The blower will now be just cracked and the water pump(s) running...
In the 'Arrivals' platform at Ryton Halt, the passengers can leave the train whilst the driver checks pressure, water level and the fire. If all is well, the train can continue through into the Departure platform and to the Water Tower...
After an hour's break, I was handed back the regulator to work the final few trips, between 3:45pm and 4:15pm. I think I did about 4 trips on my later stint. Even then, No499 steamed fantastically with no problems to report at all. She really is a fantastic machine. Below, see a couple of video clips of us in action. First, "John H Owen" attacks the daunting 1 in 70 incline as the sun continues to shine...

Secondly, the train chugs up into the station on the very last leg of the journey...

After the last trip, we all helped clear up; me in particular putting the loco to bed, with the help of Paul. This involves whipping out the firebox and cleaning out any clinker, as well as the fire itself and any ash too. The inner firebox, tubeplate, tubes and smokebox also need cleaning out. The loco will then be Blown-Down. This process involves the opening of a tap underneath the boiler. This tap will release any steam and water from the boiler, hopefully removing any scale as it does so. With all of the steam and water gone, the tap can be shut. The resulting vacuum should then suck any water from the Saddle Tank through into the boiler again to fill it slightly, ready for the next operator. (Thats the plan anyway!). Now, all thats left is to clean the engine and put the various tools away, as well as the passenger cars. After a successful day with pleasant weather and a lovely engine; I left Ryton at 4:50pm. Thank you all for reading - I hope you enjoyed Post No40...Sam.

No comments: