Saturday 4 June 2011

A Cuppa' At GEC...

Hello everyone. Today, whilst on my way to a 'steam up' at Coventry Model Engineering, I drove past the GEC Railway and, inevitably I called in for a cuppa'. As it was the first Saturday in the month, the railway was running its 3.5"/5" gauge raised track. The track was being operated by two loco's. These engines were "Jackie"; a Simplex 0-6-0T; and Tony's Midland Compound 4-4-0. The Tea Room and Model Railway were also open. Tomorrow, the society will be running their 7.25" line; 2pm - 5pm. The 5" line runs in a large oval around a scenic wooded area. Following a stiff climb, the line descends on a long straight, running parallel with the driveway, before arriving back at the station again. I believe that passenger trains do 2 laps per trip. Below, the lovely Midland 4-4-0; which visited CMES last September; is spotted at the GEC 5" station...
Following the departure of the 4-4-0, "Jackie" was able to pull forward into the Departure Platform to load more passengers. Don't worry, the track is full signalled. A nice little trick is that, if a train passes a Signal at Danger, a bell is sounded to alert all other trains, as well as the offending one. Below, "Jackie"...
Why not go along for a train ride? (And, look out for certain special events too!)...
Below, the beautiful Compound. Baring certain resemblences to the 'Maid of Kent' 4-4-0, this engine is not an example of the type. I believe that the boiler is different. However, she is a very good example of a Compound. I really like the LMS Maroon...
Resting on a nearby steaming bay was 0-4-0 RoR Saddle Tank "Percival". This colourful battery electric also visited CMES last year...
After half-hour or so at GEC, I decided that I'd better head off to CMES so, after saying my goodbyes and handing my mug back in, I headed off. Again, as always, the Tea Room Ladies were doing a sterling job in the tea room. I look forward to my next driving turn at GEC....more tea!! Thanks everyone. Now its back in the Saxo and off to CMES...

No comments: