Monday 13 June 2011

The Darkest Day for 3803...

Evening everybody. Today, at 6am, I arrived at Shackerstone for a turn on 3803 with Carl, Pockets and Alan. Walking into the shed, I found the massive GW 2-8-0, resting quietly but already nice and warm from a warming fire. Soon, the rest of the crew arrived and we set to preparing the engine. I for one went underneath, between the frames, and oiled the loco up. Its a long but satisfying job. We then took 3803 for coal under dark skies. After coaling, the rain came, and it didn't stop all day! It was horrid! We had 5 trips, which were OK when running in the Shackerstone direction, but torrential when running to Shenton with the open tender. Great Western men must have been tough souls! The loco did however perform well, and we did have a laugh. My friend Ken came on with us for the 3rd trip, enjoying his first ride on a loco footplate. Despite the rain, Ken seemed to enjoy himself which was very good in my book. After the 5th trip, we took the big 2-8-0 back into the warmth and dry of the shed where she was later left to rest. Not a bad day at all, despite the awful weather. I must admit, I think the day is best summed up with the words; "Never has one been so glad to hear that the day is over". Well, thanks everybody; I'm going to dry off! Sam.

No comments: