Monday 4 July 2011

Flying Visit to GEC...And a Drive on "James"!...

Hi everyone. After a few hours cleaning my loco up, I jumped in the VTR and headed over to the GEC Miniature Railway in Coventry. I had been invited to drive on my friend James' loco again but, allas, I thought it was better to ensure that "Achilles" was cleaned down properly first. The right decision I feel. Anyway, I got to GEC at around 3:30pm. Being the first Sunday in the month, the 7.25" track was running between 2:30pm and 5pm. Loco's running consisted of "Sammy" the Diesel, "Luna" the Sweet William and "James" the Romulus. The Y7 Tram "Toby" was also shedded nearby in case relief was needed. "James", driven by James(!), was very busy, hauling many service trains. I, in my smart clothes, looked at the action from the comfort of the station bench; cuppa' tea in hand. Lovely. However, this was short-lived as, on his next trip, James offered me the regulator. "Hmm, well, it would be rude not to drive now, wouldn't it!". Therefore, I took "James" on a journey around the track, with the train in tow of course. As usual, it was a pleasure; lots of whistling and free-steaming. The best bit is always the restart from the bottom of the hill where, 'unfortunately', "James" needs to be given a little bit of stick! Lovely little machine. Thanks for the drive James; cheers mate! Back on shed, James tends to "James" as the next train pulls in in the background...
Trains finally ended at 5pm, with 'James' and 'Luna' going on shed to blow-down. I will next be at GEC on Aug 6th, for the 5" running day, hopefully with my engine too; look forward to that! Thanks again to GEC for another enjoyable few hours out, and James of course. Also thanks to the 'Tea Room Ladies'; forever welcoming as usual! Evening all. Next weekend? No trains at all! No, I'm not ill...I'm on holiday! But, look out for a railway visit or two next week....leave it with me ;). Cheers. Sam.

No comments: