Sunday 21 August 2011

Another Private Open Day...

Heya everyone. Today I attended the Open Day of a friend of mine; Pete; at his private 7.25" gauge Garden Railway and Lake. I will not include the location of the railway, or any private details, so as to protect the security of the site but, I will tell you a little about it. The line runs in a 'Figure of Eight' shape around the wooded site, circling the sizeable lake before descending into the back field, passing the prep area and turntable on the right. There is a then what I call a 'fast section' on a straight route, before curving left to retrace its steps towards the middle of the 'Eight'. The train then passes over a 'Crossing' before climbing heavily back up to the lakeside. As well as the 8-shape, there another loop which only circles the lake. The latter loop also includes a station area with passing/run-round loop. There were many trains running today; two of which were Pete's own. I stayed for around three and a half hours, during which time Pete asked me to steam up his newest loco; an 0-4-0 Saddle Tank in striking Blue. The loco is a 7.25" Station-Road-Steam 'Stafford' Class, freshly delivered and still being run-in. What a machine...
I steamed the Marine-boilered locomotive on the turntable, whilst other trains enjoyed many laps of the varied 3/4 mile track. Pete's LMS-liveried Class 08 electric is seen resting at the Headshunt of the new station before heading out onto the line again...
Back with 'Stafford', I had managed to raise steam. Then with Drain Cocks open, I released the handbrake and carefully opened the regultor. You could hear the steam whistling down into the cylinders and then, ever so gently, the loco started to move. Its very rare that you get the chance to drive a 'brand new' locomotive but, always savour the experience! 'Stafford' was so quiet, so smooth and steamed fantastically. What an engine, and cheap at 10k! I believe Station-Road-Steam are still selling them; see their website for details. The loco includes Vacuum Brakes, Manifold Regulator and two very good Injectors for water feed. There is no tender but Pete has provided a mineral-wagon type driving truck for his example. With steam to spare, I departed the bays and headed off around the circuit. 'Stafford' performed fantastically; I want one!...
As well as Pete's stock, there were visiting engines. In fact, four examples had turned up from the GEC Miniature Railway. These were Tich "Tom", Sweet-Romulus "Luna" and Y7 Tram "Toby", as well as the Warship electric. Below, "Tom" raises steam on the steaming bay, closely watched by owner, Barry...
To compliment the railway engines, Dave Hall had brought along his lovely 4" Burrell Traction Engine, which I drove last year at the MMEE. The engine is spotted in steam outside her trailer, before enjoying a run around the grounds...
That Burrell is a lovely example, built from a Modelworks kit. From experience, I would say that this 4" engine is probably one of the best designs ever to come out of Modelworks. Out on the lake, "Roundtuit" (the Steam Launch) was building up pressure ready to give some rides. The Launch takes a few circuits around the lake on each of its scenic (and free!) trips...
On the top level of the railway, "Luna" steams past the BBQ Area with one of Pete's log wagons...
A busy seen at the BBQ area as Luna's train (far right), Ken's blue electric and Malcolm's Warship all queue behind the 'Stafford' locomotive...
The GEC engines and their drivers seemed to be enjoying themselves each time I passed one of them on 'Stafford'. Meanwhile, I was having a whale of a time. 'Stafford' was fantastic; I'm not surprised that so many have been sold. The only shame was that the GEC's Romulus "James" could not attend as I believe owner James was busy. I know for a fact that "James" would have been a fantastic addition to the running fleet! Below, 'Roundtuit' gives a few lucky passengers another trip on the lake from the Jetty...
I left the railway at around 2:30pm for home; I was busy elsewhere you see, else I would have stayed much longer! All in all though, a fantastic visit, a fantastic railway and of course a fantastic few laps with 'Stafford'. Thanks very much to Pete and everyone who attended too. Good day all...

No comments: