Sunday 16 October 2011

Sun & Steam on the Fosseway...

Hi everybody. Today, I was back at the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre on the Fosseway near Leamington. It was to be my 2nd day of driving at the Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition, on behalf of CMES. I arrived at just before 10am, and entered through the Exhibitors extrance. There were already vast queue's forming outside the main doors, eagerly awaiting the 10am opening. Before the crowds burst in, I managed to get a shot of the 7ft advert for Engineering in Miniature, which was titled with the picture of myself driving "James". Fame, ay?!...
First stop...
With my driving shift not due to start until 1:30pm, I had time to look around the show. I did get a brief look yesterday but tried to have a few more chats today and ask a few questions. First stop was the CMES stand to see if my engine was still clean! Luckily, she was. My 5" gauge tank was sitting quietly; brass bonnet shining; on one of the corners. I knew this because I placed her there Thursday evening before the show began! The loco was cleaned out the other day, with the smokebox, tubes and spark arrestor all brushed. Ash dealt with, I cleaned the paintwork and motion with a parrafin and oil mixture. With the main grime patches gone, all I had to was clean the brasses. Sure enough, after an hour or so, the brass was clean. The engine was then in the condition that she is displayed in today. She will be here until the end of the show on Tuesday evening. She was also, as far as I could see, the only "Achilles" tank at the show...
My engine, a few dents and paint scratches here and there but, otherwise shiney!...
With the loco all well and good, my second port of call was the outside portable track to see how the morning shift (Brian and Hilary) were getting on. "Polly V" was quietly steaming up and everything seemed fine. I then headed off for a walk around the show. The standard this year was very good. There was everything from Mamods to Gauge 1 to 10.25" gauge. There were also countless 2.5", 3.5", 5" and 7.25" gauge models as well as tooling displays, trade stands, engines for sale, traction engines in steam and of course the portable 5" gauge railway. There were also various demonstrations and lectures. All in all, a fab display. Outside, I got another couple of laps on Dave's fabulous 4" Burrell traction engine. Lovely thing and a pleasure to drive, though very different to a rail engine in many ways! At 12:15pm, Brian felt a little unwell so I did just short of an hours worth of driving on "Polly V". Passenger numbers were good and the loco was performing well...

A good fire in the box...
At 13:15, I headed off for another little work, returning at 13:40. I had of course already done an hour so needed a bit of a break! On my return, Emma had arrived and we duly shared the afternoon driving "Polly V". Not bad at all - just a little back and forth ;) ...
As with other MMEE posts, I have included some of my favourite displays. This year there were three that really caught my eye. One, on the Winners Table, was this beautiful 5" gauge model of the West Country pacific "Padstow", obviously built by a prolific engineer. Well done. I was quite in awe of this engine...
Next, a 6" Garratt tractor, completed in April this year, that was running outside. What a huge thing. Beautifully engineered by her builders, from the Black Country. A pleasure to watch. She steamed effortlessly around for both of the days that I was there. Wonderful...
Finally, this Mamod SR1 was a true gem. At 36" scale to the foot, this engineer really knew how to scale thigns up! If you look closely, you can see a standard SR1 under the boiler barrel, and an even smaller version underneath the water bowser behind the 36" version. The huge Mamod really was exact down to the last detail, apart from the pressure gauge and water glass! Lovely thing...I want it!...
After a good afternoon's running, including lots of whistling, passenger haulage and chatting (not to mention an Ice Cream or two!) we disposed of the engine towards the end of the show. No problems, apart from a little clinker. Below, Driver Emma chats to some interested visitors about the finer points of engine disposal...
Finally, a short, fairly average video clip I took. This shows a simple jaunt up and down the Portable track; provided by CMES; on "Polly V". I hope it gets some interest on here at least ;) ...

Well thats it folks, at 5:15pm I drove out of the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre in the Saxo, bound for home. It had been a very nice day. "Polly V" had performed well and I'd met up with a few friends and made some new ones. Thanks to Brian, Emma, CMES and MMEE for a fab day. Also thanks to Polly for use of their golden 2-6-0. Finally, thank you for reading folks. Good evening. I'll be back here on Tuesday night to pick up "Achilles". Next weekend? Well, I think I'm off to GEC with the engine to lighten the load by hauling some Birthday Party trains that will be operating up there. More posts as they happen! Kindest Regards, Sam...

1 comment:

Petensue said...

Hi Sam
Good report on the show and your loco looked great. Well polished with gleaming brass fittings.
A tip for you. An old toothbrush works well at polishinging and then removing the old brasso from name plates.
Also good for cleaning around the bages found on car boot lids.
Hope to see you on the 5th.
CMES roving reporter