Sunday 19 October 2014

Traction Engines & "Polly"...

Hi all. This morning it was my turn to look around the MMEE. I arrived at just before 10am on this damp morning and headed to the CMES stand via the rear entrance. Having dropped off my stuff I went for a look around. There was some lovely stuff on offer, though the prices of some of the raw materials has really rocketed: such is life. Out on the grass the traction engines were already stirring. It was a nice, varied display this year and I must have counted at least 10 examples. The one on the right below is Phil's new one: a 4" Burrell road locomotive. Phil was kind enough to let me take the new toy for a spin: what a thing. Due to my constant organising of MTEW I am gaining much more appreciation for the traction engine as a whole and I can really see myself owning a 4" or 6" example one day: well, in my dreams anyway. If Euromillions ever lets me win maybe I'll have one or three...
After a good look around the show and a lot (and I mean a lot) more gassing to countless folk, it was almost 1:30pm again and time for another shift on the portable 5" gauge track. This time my fellow driver was Emma and we had a pleasant afternoon sauntering up and down the track. The loco steamed well again and put up few problems, apart from a slight lubricator set back (caused by an air lock I think) later in the afternoon, which we soon remedied. At just after 5pm I was heading for home after everything had been packed up and "Polly V" had been returned to the Polly stand. Tomorrow is the shows last day and it will be time for 4436 to come home but before that test time at Statfold! Time to start biting those nails. All the best, Sam...

No comments: