Monday 10 November 2014

Rosetta & A Memorial...

Hi all. Today, whilst on my way to Shackerstone I popped into the village to see a steam roller. "Rosetta", Aveling & Porter 9024 of 1919, has recently changed ownership and now lives not far from the railway. My mate Phil, who has his own A & P roller ("Louise"), said I should pop in and meet the new owner as the engine and crew are interested in coming to MB MTEW 2015. After a natter and a good look around "Rosetta", I think we can safely say she will be joining us in April, along with "Louise" and another big un' from another nearby stable. Looking forward to it! From the pub, I drove around to the railway for a special afternoon.

Recently, the Shackerstone Railway Society President: Mr John C Jacques MBE: sadly passed away. John was a railway man through and through and knew just about everything there was to know. He founded the wonderful Shackerstone Museum and had volunteered within it since the early preservation days of the railway. He was a very committed man and was always happy to chat about his various relics from the railways of old. He even wrote a book: "Railway Tales": about his experiences as a BR Signalman and track man. I remember John from my early days at Shack in late 2006 and slightly later, seeing him around there in his museum until ill health stopped him coming in the last few years. Everyone on the railway was very sad to hear of John's passing and I'm sad to say that a lot of knowledge and commitment to the railway has been lost there. However, we must remember John's efforts and look to the fantastic museum that we see today. Today on the railway there was a special train, operated in memory of John and the railway staff did themselves proud today. I attended and, like many others, had a drink in John's memory. RIP John, you will be sadly missed and I think the railway will be forever thankful for your efforts...

No comments: