Saturday 24 October 2015

Preparations at Tyseley...

Hi all. Today was a pleasure. Having left work at 11am as normal, I drove along the A45 under dark skies threatening rain. My destination?: Tyseley. Tyseley Loco Works now holds two open weekends annually: one in June, one in October. This weekend promised a roster of six locomotives in steam as well as a fabulous coming together of Great Western thoroughbreds for the photographers. Upon my arrival at Tyseley I was immediately put to work helping with the shunting for the following days exploits. As the afternoon wore on, my duty changed into preparing Great Western Pannier Tank No7752. Built in 1930 by North British, 7752 worked on the GWR and BR until being sold in 1959 to London Transport. Whilst working in the big smoke, she acquired the number L94 and a red livery, which she still carries today. By mid afternoon it was time to light the fire as L94 was joined outside the shed by Peckett No1 and No4965 "Rood Ashton Hall". With all of the usual checks made, I lit up a few oil soaked rags and got a blaze going in the firebox...
With the rags spread neatly across the grate and burning well, a selection of rather expired wood planks were placed on top. Crackling and smoking, L94 was slowly coming to life. For the rest of the day myself and Phil were busy cleaning and oiling up the Pannier. I've always had an affection for these engines; they were real workhorses of their day and, at Class 4, could put out a very respectful power output. When I left at around 5:30pm, L94 was warming through nicely with the top brasses buffed up and shining. I look forward to tomorrows no doubt enjoyable antics! All the best guys, Sam...

No comments: