Sunday 26 June 2016

Tyseley: LT's Last...

Hi all. Today I went over to Tyseley for most of the day, arriving there at around 10:30am. This weekend is the annual summer Open Weekend and 5 engines were rostered to be in service: two Panniers, the Castle, the Hall and of course the lovely little Peckett. Later on, during early afternoon, I was asked by Dave to pop on to the Pannier Tank L94 (GWR 7752) as she was about to swap with fellow Pannier No9600 to work the passenger shuttle train on the demo line. I duly accepted, grateful for another go on 52', and we were soon chugging neatly back and forth, up and down the yard. After a few runs up and down, Dave kindly let me have a couple of trips driving. As luck would have it, I was snapped at the controls and the image below is the result...
"Caught Driving Pannier Tank 7752 (as L94)" - (Pic - K.Davies)
I am very grateful to Dave for giving me a go on 52', both firing and of course driving - it was most enjoyable. I came off during mid-afternoon to let some of the other lads have a go as I hadn't been there and done the morning ground work. You can read about my day on L94 at the last open weekend here. The engine was built by North British in 1930 as 7752, one of the numerous 5700-class Pannier Tanks. Sold to London Transport in 1959, the Pannier became the last steam locomotive on the Met, hauling the last steam train in 1971. She was in working condition when she arrived at Tyseley that same year and actually worked at the open day that year. She's a lovely engine, and quite loud...the loudest of the three Tyseley Pannier's so the lads say! Cheers for reading all, and thanks to Kris for letting me use his image of me on L94. All the best, Sam...

No comments: