Sunday 29 January 2017

Tyseley: A Free Running Exhaust...

Hi all. Today I was over at Tyseley again for their weekly volunteer working party. Efforts once again centred around 7029 "Clun Castle" and a good team turned out. I joined Phil & Nathan for a lovely breakfast at the Tyseley Corner Cafe on route (rude not to!) and this contributed to the start of a pleasant day. Work in the afternoon involved fitting parts of the exhaust system and blast pipe. 7029, like 5043, employs the later double-chimney arrangement of the Castle class and thus has a large, double blast-pipe casting. Its quite a thing and is a good four-man lift. Its interesting to study, whilst this work is ongoing, the exhaust abilities of these four cylinder machines. A free running exhaust is often key to the success of a steam engine. The freer the engine can run, the better she'll go. I've known powerful engines in the past to be restricted by their exhaust abilities. Its a fascinating subject and I look forward to seeing 7029 in action on the main line when that time comes. Today was also the first time in around 12 years that I didn't have my annual outing to the GCR's Winter Gala. I thought about it - and they had a great show on offer - but the thought of countless cold, wet enthusiasts bashing me half out of conciousness with their rucksacks all day again put me off. Cheers all and thanks for reading, Sam...

No comments: