Sunday 20 August 2017

Passing Traction Engines...

Hi all - a quick one from today. I was sat in the barbers of all places, chatting about this and that, when through the window came the unmistakable noise of a steam whistle. I thought this was odd as we don't see steam very much around our way but sure enough a second whistle blast followed. I knew it straight away: "Elsa". The chime of the Westinghouse whistle echoed on the wind, signalling that the blue traction engine was somewhere in the locality. Mop chopped, I went off in search of the engines I'd heard. The tell tale marks on the tarmac through the village made the machines pretty easy to follow and I caught up with them literally around the corner at The Weavers pub; obviously their watering hole of choice...
Of course, "Elsa" was there. She is the locally well known big blue engine: Fowler 12761 of 1911, an A8 single. Leading the traction engine was the steam roller "Lady Bethany": Aveling & Porter 5161 of 1902 vintage. This engine lives just down the road from us and for years I've spotted her tracks but never actually caught her out & about. Today, at last, there she was in steam...
"Elsa" was in town for a party at the base of the Aveling and the duo had come out for an afternoon trundle to the pub...
Last but not least, Arthur Henton's nippy Aveling Convertible "Emma" made up a trio. A 1920-built GND compound, "Emma" returned to work at our Giant Miniature Weekend at Statfold back in May, following heavy surgery at the works of the SBR. Today she had steamed over from her base in Twycross to join in the fun...
Glad of seeing the three road steamers, I headed back home and carried on with the jobs on my Saturday list. Whilst out in the garden I heard the engines making their way back through the village so nipped out to grab some more snaps...
"Lady Bethany" was duly followed by big blue "Elsa"...
With a trail of smoke hanging lazily behind them, the road steamers slowly disappeared into the distance. A welcome treat on this quiet Saturday and always pleasant to see. I'm off to see some baby trains tomorrow. Cheers, Sam...

No comments: